Sunday

Day Four calls for fun in a bowl!

Fourth stop on my food journey? Flame Broiler on Van Nuys Boulevard. I came across this place by accident actually. I was initially there (at the plaza Flame Broiler is located at) to get some frozen yogurt at Yogurtland with my best friend. But Flame Broiler's "$5 meals" deal caught my eye! Plus, they claim to be a "healthy choice". Right off the bat two of my three criteria points were already fulfilled.
Normally, a regular bowl of either chicken, beef, chicken & veggies, beef & veggies, half & half, or the works (a combo of everything) would cost a little bit over five dollars. However, since Flame Broiler was having a $5 meal deal, I was able to get get both a regular bowl and a drink as well. I got a regular bowl of The Works, and so did my friend.

The Works was a lovely bowl of chicken, beef, steamed veggies and brown rice. Yes, brown rice. To my surprise, I was given the choice of either white or brown rice. Since I am health cautious, I opted for the nutty brown rice as the nutritious starch of my meal! Brown rice is considered very healthy because since only the hull is removed, brown rice grains retain more vitamins and minerals like manganese and selenium (Brown Rice); manganese keeps bones strong (Manganese) and selenium allows for the thyroid to produce thyroid hormone (Selenium ). I had my protein which was broiled, my veggies that were steamed, and my good starch all in one moderately-sized meal. (I know it looks like a lot of food in the picture, but it is only because I decided to separate my meat from the rest of the bowl.) Flame Broiler never fries and only cooks organic food (Flame Broiler)!
According to Flame Broiler's "Healthy Facts", my bowl was 631 calories. This may sound hefty, but the suggested daily calorie intake for a woman my age and my weight/height is 2030 (Calorie Calculator).  When divided by three- assuming I eat three meals a day- I am allowed 677 calories per meal. So that means with my meal from Flame Broiler, I actually had 43 calories left over. 


Normally I would provide an alternative recipe, but so far, I think Flame Broiler has offered me the "perfect meal"!


Price- 10
Health- 10
Flavor- 9.5

No comments:

Post a Comment