Saturday

Day Three cures my Mexican Craving.

Third stop? El Pavito Veloz on Roscoe Boulevard. I always saw this restaurant on my way home from school with their crazy deals painted on the windows. After two years of simply passing by it, I finally got to try their Mexican cuisine. Luckily I came in and it was still lunch time, so I was in for a deal! There were two nice gentlemen who handed me the menu and a little booklet of coupons for my next visit, which I thought was very nice of them to do so. I opened the menu and was reasonably surprised at the prices...nothing over $8. If I remember correctly the most expensive item was a dish called Pazole, which is a Mexican speciality that highlights maize. In addition to being "cheap", most of the items had names I was definitely unfamiliar with- I only knew what a burrito, tamale, and taco were. I ended up ordering their combination burrito that had Mexican rice, grilled chicken, salsa, black beans, and guacamole. Yummy, right? And it was only $5.95!
I could not finish everything, so this is result- I probably had half of the burrito left. Let me tell you, I was full. Very full. But very satisfied. I got my daily servings of protein from the chicken and black beans, veggies from the salsa and guacamole, and starch from the rice and tortilla.
But- there is always a but- I was ridiculously full. This burrito was such a heavy meal I could not even stand up for a good twenty minutes. Although I am unsure of how many calories this particular burrito was, generally chicken burritos of the same features are a whopping 900 calories!!! (Chipotle Nutrition Facts Calculator

The guacamole itself constitutes for 150 calories! It is the avocado, I tell you! Despite the fact avocados are a good for the eyes by preventing cataracts and muscle degeneration, they are definitely high in fat content. (Superfoods!) And the flour tortilla is already 290 calories. WOW, I'm pretty sure I gained about 5 pounds at that sitting. Sigh.

Price- 10
Health- 6.5
Flavor- 9

As disappointing as it was to consume half a day's worth of calories in one sitting, I was able to find an alternative recipe for a much healthier chicken burrito. This recipe calls for carb-cautious flour tortillas instead of the regular one, brown rice rather than white rice, and there are no beans or guacamole. Automatically, roughly 420 calories are already knocked off. Amazingly, this chicken burrito still has protein, veggies, and the right starches. 

Ingredients

  1. Mission Flour Tortillas Carb Balance 
  2. Tyson's Fajita Chicken Strips 
  3. Fresh Express Shreds
  4. Pico de Gallo
  5. Shredded Taco Blend Cheese
  6. Great Value Brown Rice
  7. Cumin, Garlic Powder, Creole Seasoning, Chili Powder

Directions

Heat a skillet thats been sprayed with 0 calorie olive oil.
You want to boil the brown rice first. I like mine kind of mushy so it'll take longer to boil, but you need to put it on at least 20 minutes before you start the Chicken Strips which don't take long. I season my rice with the Zatarain's Creole Seasoning till it taste good for me. I recommend you do the same.
Get a skillet. Put your Chicken Strips in there with the Pico de Gallo. The strips I have are aleady cooked but I put in the skillet in order to give them some color. Make sure you put the cumin and chili powder in here. The recipe calls for 1sp of each but the choice is up to you since it doesn't add calories to the entire mix. The chicken doesn't take any longer than 15 minutes for me, but if you're using uncooked Chicken, then of course you'll end up cooking your chicken first.
While this is going, get the amount of cheese and lettuce you're going to use and set it aside. We trying to have everything finish at the same time so we get everything in the tortilla as hot as possible.
Put the tortillas on a piece of aluminum foil and put it in the oven to warm. Don't cook them or they'll get too hard. If you don't have a warm setting, set it around 200 and watch them. It shouldn't take any longer than 3 minutes.
At some point, the rice, chicken, and tortilla should all be going around the same time. When your chicken is almost done, get your tortillas out and prepare them to be fill.
With the tortilla open up in front in you, put the chicken and pico de gallo in first, then the rice is next, cheese, and last but not least, lettuce. This needs to be put in the middle of the burrito and take into account that you have to roll this when you get finish, so putting too much might cause the tortilla to break. Kind of pack it down a little bit and roll it tucking in the ends as you go. Once you're done, set it on its side where the tortilla closes, and then do the second tortilla the same way.
Number of Servings: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment